Home Remedies for Low Libido
A low libido can put a serious damper on your sex life. Libido is your sex drive. When it’s low, you are just not in the mood for sex…of any kind.
Symptoms of a low libido are:
- Decreased interest and pleasure in sexual activity
- Difficulty becoming aroused or reaching orgasm
- Reduced frequency of sexual activity
Low libido can be due to physical or psychological issues. Medical conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease or thyroid issues, can all lower libido. Medications like antidepressants, blood pressure meds or even pain relievers can decrease sex drive. Psychological causes of low libido can include stress, depression & anxiety, relationship problems or body image issues.
For more information about low libido in women, click here.
There are a number of home remedies for low libido that we want to share with you. But first, it’s important to get the basics right for a strong libido:
- Follow a Healthy Diet of fresh vegetables, fruit and natural whole foods to improve your overall health, well-being and libido.
- Get out & Exercise to improve circulation, reduce stress and boost your mood. Aim for a 30-minute moderate work out most days of the week to increase your libido
- Manage your Stress. Stress has a negative impact on libido. So, learn to manage and reduce it with yoga, meditation, breathing exercises or spending time in nature. Listening to music or reading can also be relaxing.
- A Good Night’s Sleep is essential for overall health, well-being and a strong libido. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Avoid Excessive Alcohol and Drugs as these can interfere with libido. Avoid them altogether or consume them in moderation.
- Talk to your Partner. Communication is important in any relationship and especially when it comes to sex. Talk to your partner about sexual needs and desires to work on your sex life together.
Once these basics are in place, it’s time to try some more creative things:
On Your Own:
Try Some Herbs:
- Maca root is a natural remedy for various health conditions, including low libido. Maca is thought to help by rebalancing hormone levels, particularly estrogen and testosterone. This can help improve libido.
- Ginseng is an herb with health benefits, including aphrodisiac properties. Ginseng improves blood circulation, reduces stress and balances hormone levels. These can all enhance sexual desire.
- Ginkgo biloba is an herb that can help sexual function and libido. It enhances blood flow, improves circulation and relaxes smooth muscle tissue. These are important for sexual response in women and explain how gingko biloba can increase sexual desire.
** For all herbs & supplements, exercise caution. Some have possible side effects or may interact with medication you may be taking. It is always prudent to ask your doctor first, or ask us at The Libido Doctor, about your individual situation and maca, ginseng or gingko biloba.
Take Care of Your Needs
If you’re always busy & stressed or looking after other people, it’s time to hit pause. Adding in more self-care to your daily routine can help to de-stress, slow down and feel better in yourself. Some ideas to show the self-love:
- Get a massage or facial
- Detox from social media
- Feed yourself healthy, nourishing food
- Be kinder and more self-compassionate in your self-talk
Do things that make You happy. Prioritize doing things that bring you joy and happiness, like curling up with a good book, getting out in nature, sharing a cup of tea with your best friend or climbing that mountain. Whatever it is that makes you happy, do it!
With Your Partner:
Wear Red Clothing
The color red is linked to passion and sex. According to the science, red is the most sexually attractive color to both men and women. Men find women wearing red to be more sexually attractive so they feel more amorous toward women in red. And women are attracted to men wearing red because it signifies status and dominance.
Time to go shopping if you don’t already have something red in your closet!
Do Something Scary with your Partner
Research shows that adrenaline increases the level of attraction and sexually arousal we feel for someone. Doing something scary or daring together will get your hearts pumping and the adrenaline flowing, which matches the state of sexual arousal. So, try watching a scary movie, riding a rollercoaster, or if you both dare, jumping out of an airplane with your partner.
Eat Aphrodisiac Foods
These aphrodisiac foods may increase libido:
- Oysters are a good source of zinc, which is important for sexual health.
- Watermelon contains citrulline, which improves blood flow.
- Dark chocolate contains flavonoids with antioxidant properties that help improve sexual function.
- Figs, bananas and avocados are considered libido-boosting foods. They contain vitamins and minerals that can increase blood flow to the genitals and add to a healthy sex life.
Time with your Partner
Are you both rushing around all the time and not connecting often enough? Time together should be a priority. Plan a date night where you unplug (yes, from your phones!) and focus on each other.
Some ideas to try out together are:
- Bring out your favorite red top or dress for date night.
- Go skydiving or ride a rollercoaster to give yourselves a scare.
- Have an aphrodisiac dinner of oysters, champagne, figs & dark chocolate.
- Communicate and talk about your sexual fantasies with your partner. Maybe this is the time to live some of them out.
- Go Big and plan an aphrodisiac date night including all of the above!
If you have tried these home remedies and are still experiencing low libido, talk to us at The Libido Doctor. There may be an underlying medical condition or something else causing your low libido. We can work with you to help identify and treat the root causes. Our goal is to help you get your libido back!