Exercise to Boost Libido
Regular exercise can have some seriously sexy benefits for you and your libido. If you are struggling with a low libido, or low sex drive, this could be the answer you’ve been looking for!
Exercise improves physical and mental well-being and can improve your sexual satisfaction. Let’s explore some exercise techniques that can add a spicy touch to your workout routine:
But first, a word on Hormones:
Hormones are important for libido and your sex life. Hormones are affected by exercise and how much you exercise.
Estrogen, progesterone and testosterone all affect sexual desire and arousal. Higher levels of estrogen in the body promote vaginal lubrication and increase sexual desire. We want to keep progesterone under control as increases in progesterone can reduce sexual desire.
Testosterone is known as a male sex hormone, but women have testosterone as well. Testosterone drives desire, fantasy and thoughts about sex, which are the components of libido. It also helps provide the energy for sex in women.
Low levels of testosterone may lead to reduced sexual desire in some women. Testosterone replacement therapy can sometimes be ineffective at treating low sex drive in women. But exercise, and specifically, resistance training, can temporarily increase testosterone in women.
It’s important to find the sweet spot with exercise. Too little exercise can lower sex drive, but too much exercise can have the same effect. Overdoing the exercise can lead to a situation with body dysmorphic disorder that can be similar to eating disorders, where you don’t see your body as it really is. This can definitely take a toll on sex drive.
We want to reach a balanced state where the exercise and being fit helps you to feel sexy. So, keeping exercise at a moderate level can achieve this.
Here are some types of exercise we suggest you try:
- Dance Fitness: Try dance-inspired workouts like Zumba, belly dancing or salsa. These routines not only improve cardiovascular health but also boost body confidence, self-expression and sensual movement. Whether it’s belly dancing or salsa, these dance styles can awaken your sensuality and help you feel more connected to your body. Let the rhythm and music guide you to enjoy the movement and embrace your sexy side.
- Pole Dancing Fitness: Join a pole dancing fitness class or try some pole dancing exercises at home. Pole dancing is not only a fantastic workout that strengthens your core, arms and legs but it also encourages sensual movement and body confidence. It can be a flirty and empowering way to tap into your femininity and boost your libido.
- Burlesque Cardio: A burlesque-inspired cardio workout can incorporate elements of dance, strength training and sensual movements into a fun and flirty workout routine. It can improve cardiovascular fitness and boost your confidence.
- Resistance Training: Include exercises that target the glutes, hips and thighs, such as squats, lunges and hip thrusts. These exercises sculpt and tone your lower body and enhance blood flow to the pelvic region, promoting sensitivity and sexual pleasure.
- High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT): Traditional HIIT or strength training builds muscle and boosts testosterone, which can increase libido. Building muscle can improve your body image and make you feel sexier, while temporarily increasing testosterone and giving your libido a lift.
- Couples’ Workouts: Involve your partner in your exercise routine for some flirty and intimate bonding time. Try partner yoga poses that require trust, balance and physical connection. You can explore exercises that involve playful resistance, like partner squats or partner planks. The shared experience of exercising together can create a sense of intimacy and boost libido. These activities can strengthen the bond between you and your partner, increase intimacy and spark a sense of playfulness.
- Yoga: Yoga can increase sexual pleasure by stimulating blood ﬂow to the genitals, which can improve orgasms. Yoga is also a great way to de-stress, which can banish a low sex drive. Add in some sensual stretching with stretches that promote flexibility and body awareness, such as the cat-cow stretch, the butterfly stretches or the seated forward bend. Pay attention to your body and move slowly, allowing yourself to connect with your sensuality and pleasure.
- Outdoor Activities: Exercising outside can boost adrenaline, especially if you try something daring with your partner. Research shows that adrenaline increases the level of attraction and sexual arousal we feel for someone. Doing something scary or daring together will get your hearts pumping and the adrenaline flowing, which matches the state of sexual arousal. So, try an adrenaline-boosting sport together like whitewater rafting, rock climbing, surfing, skiing or snowboarding with your partner. These activities will stimulate your senses, increase adrenaline, and the adventure will give you both an exhilarating feeling. The fresh air and scenic views will also boost the mood and get you and your partner feeling more connected.
Exercise or your favorite sport will make you feel confident, empowered and in touch with your sensuality. Listen to your body, explore different activities and be open to embracing your unique desires. Exercise to spark your saucy side. Incorporate flirtatious movements, sensuality and playfulness into your workouts to enhance your libido. Enjoy discovering the flirty and saucy side of exercise!
And, as always, talk to us at The Libido Doctor, if you have any specific concerns or questions about your libido or exercise routine. We are here to help you get your libido back on track!
For more information on low libido in women, click here.